Rooibos tea is a largely consumed beverage, due to its medicinal properties dealing with weak bone structure, insomnia or even stomach ailments.
Rooibos Tea description
Rooibos is a plant belonging to the legume family which grows in South Africa.
This plant is used to prepare Rooibos tea (also known as bush tea or redbush tea). The beverage is known for centuries in Southern Africa and nowadays, it is consumed in many countries.
Fermentation by analogy (the process through which the leaves are oxidized) renders its reddish-brown color and enhances its flavor.
Rooibos Tea brewing
To prepare Rooibos tea:
- use spring water or filtered water
- brew Rooibos tea leaves in heartily boiling water: one heaping teaspoon of tea leaves per eight ounces (one cup) of water
- steep it five to ten minutes
- keep the water hot the entire time the leaves are steeping
Milk, sugar or honey can be added to the resulting beverage.
Rooibos Tea benefits
Rooibos tea has been successfully used to:
- treat irritability,headaches, disturbed sleeping patterns, insomnia, nervous tension, mild depression or hypertension
- relieve stomach cramps
- relieve colic in infants
- relieve stomach and indigestive problems like nausea, vomiting, heartburn, stomach ulcers and constipation
- supplement the daily amounts of calcium, manganese and especially fluoride for the development of strong teeth and bones
- relieve itching and certain skin irritations like eczema, nappy rash and acne (when directly applied to the affected area)
Rooibos Tea side effects
Rooibos tea is not recommended to pregnant and nursing women.
Also, it is recommended to ask your doctor before consuming this type of tea.
Rooibos tea is a healthy beverage used to treat a large array of diseases such as skin-related issues, indigestion, disturbed sleeping patterns, but not only.