Licorice tea has been known for many years due to its medicinal benefits. Licorice herb (glycyrrhiza glabra) grows in Greece, Italy, Spain, Syria, Iraq and Southern China. The root is the one that contains an abundance of valuable properties. The root contains a substance that is as sweet as sugar cane, named glycyrrhizin.
How To Make Licorice Tea
To brew licorice tea, first of all, cut the licorice root into small pieces. You can buy a whole licorice root from a “natural foods” shop. Then put 1 teaspoon of licorice into 1 cup of boiled water and let it steep for about 5-10 minutes. To really flavor the tea you can add peppermint or cinnamon.
Licorice Tea Benefits
- Speeds the healing of stomach ulcers.
- Alleviates liver inflammations.
- Combats diarrhea.
- Helps treating headaches.
- Overcomes excessive thirst.
- Treats sore throat.
Licorice Tea Side Effects
If you drink licorice tea excessively, you can be predisposed to some disorders:
- High blood pressure.
- Low potassium levels in the blood.
- It may interact with the effects of some medications.
- It should not be consumed by pregnant or breastfeeding women.
All in al, licorice tea is a healthy option and it can be drank 3 times a day! Just make sure you won`t experience any of its side effects!