Horse Chestnut tea has been known for many years due to its astringent, anti-inflammatory, expectorant and tonic properties. It grows in the Balkan areas and in Western Asia and can reach a height of 100 feet. The leaves of horse chestnut tree are 12 inches long and the buds are large and sticky. Most of the health benefits derive from the tree’s bark and leaves.
The bark contains coumarins, aesculetin, fraxin, quercetin, sterols, tannins and saponins. The leaves are full of coumadins, aesculin, scopolin, fraxin, stigmasterol, beta-sitosterol and rutin.
How To Make Horse Chestnut Tea
You can make horse chestnut tea either from the bark or leaves. To brew horse chestnut tea from the bark, you need to boil for about 5-10 minutes a tablespoon of tea in a kettle of water. To make horse chestnut tea from the leaves, place about a fistful of leaves into a cup of boiled water and let it steep for about 7 – 10 minutes.
The nut of horse chestnut can only be used for external applications, since they could be poisonous otherwise!
Horse Chestnut Tea Benefits
The nuts have the following benefits:
- Strengthens varicose veins.
- Can help treat hemorrhoids.
- Helps treating arthritis and rheumatic pains.
- Helpful in treating various skin conditions such as: rashes, eczema or burns.
The leaves include the following benefits:
- Provides relaxation and a restful sleep.
- May help treat dysentery.
- Alleviates fever and malaria.
- Relieves menstrual cramps.
Horse Chestnut Tea Side Effects
- Horse chestnut flower can cause allergic reactions.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid drinking Horse Chestnut Tea.
- Horse Chestnut Tea may lower blood sugar levels, so avoid drinking this tea if you suffer from diabetes.
- Don’t drink horse chestnut tea if you have bowel or stomach disorders.
- If you have a liver condition, avoid drinking horse chestnut.
- Avoid drinking Horse Chestnut Tea if you suffer from kidney problems.
All in all, Horse Chestnut Tea is a healthy tea with many health benefits! Enjoy drinking and try to not experience any of its side effects.