Horsetail tea is made from the horsetail herb also named Equisetum arvense. Horsetail was used by ancient Romans and Greeks in medicine as an herbal remedy to stop bleeding, heal wounds and treat tuberculosis or kidney problems. This plant is actually a non-flowering weed that is found in some parts of Europe, Asia, the Middle East and North America.
How to brew Horsetail Tea
To brew a cup of horsetail tea, place 1-2 teaspoons of dried horsetail in a cup of boiled water. Then cover it and let it steep for about 10-15 minutes. When the time is up, strain thehorsetail tea into another cup and, depending on your taste preferences, sweeten it with some honey or sugar.
Horsetail Tea benefits
Horsetail tea has a lot of health benefits due to its high silica content that may help straighten bones, hair and nails, relieve bloating and fight fungal infections. Also, horsetail tea:
- It is most commonly used as a diuretic since washes away the toxins, having a cleansing effect to the kidneys.
- Strengthens your lungs thanks to its main component – silica acid helps strengthen the walls of the air sacs in the lungs.
- Promotes healthy hair. You can add 4 oz. of cooled horsetail tea into your shampoo or you can use the tea as a hair rinse.
- Reduces swellings and gets rid of water retention.
- Treats urinary infections.
- Helps healing and treating burns and wounds thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Horsetail Tea side effects
Even though this tea has a lot of benefits, over consumption may lead to certain side effects. Try not to drink more than 2 cups of horsetail tea a day.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women are advised not to drink horsetail tea.
- If you have kidney stones, try to stay away from this tea.
- You can experience nausea, muscle weakness, fever or certain skin problems if you drink too much horsetail tea.
- Before you start drinking horsetail tea, make sure you don’t have theamine deficiency or weak heart. In case you do, do not drink this tea.
Horsetail tea makes an excellent choice of drink since it has a lot of medical properties and therefore many benefits. Avoid over consumption and enjoy a healthy cup of tea!